I finally finished Ayla's doll. I had bought some fabric from Fabricland to make it with. I didn't want to go thru the online buying when I had decided to try my hand at making a Waldorf doll. I wanted to see how it would turn out with things I could find easily in any store. Mind you not everyone has a Fabricland near them but it was good enough for me. I think it was some generic skin toned cotton interlock fabric that I had stumbled upon when I was there that gave me the idea to try it this way. I wanted to use dental floss to shape the head but I had some dishcloth cotton on hand from when I knitted up my dishcloths so I used that instead. As you can see I really was just trying to get it done with the basics. The hair is made from some acrylic yarn I found at Michael's as well as the DMC embroidery floss for the eyes and mouth. I'll definitely have to work on my shaping for the eyes to make them more round but I'm really happy with making the mouth like that. The pattern is the 11' baby doll from Dancing Rain Dolls. I actually went ahead and ordered some real doll making supplies while I was at it.
So I'm thinking about making these dolls to sell around here, I won't be using the same pattern as this doll for obvious reasons. I actually have a completely different design in mind for the dolls I want to make. I haven't gotten the supplies yet so look out for that in the coming weeks. I must say from the time I mentioned that I'd be doing this to the time of completion was very long. It actually took me very long to do the hair because I wanted it to be very full looking. I put it in pigtails so that Ayla wouldn't have it looking too messy too fast. I also wanted to mention that it's stuffed with 100% bamboo fiberfill that I also got on sale at Fabricland. I'm really loving that aspect about this doll. I'm going to be buying some natural fibered yarn from Knit for Brains to make this new doll hair. I know the Waldorf dolls out there are all made of wool stuffing and a wool/mohair yarn blend for the hair so I'm really going for an authentic vegan doll that doesn't lose that natural fiber charm. Mind you I still think my acrylic hair baby is charming.
I made the diaper and shirt using the pattern that came with the pattern for the doll. All from fabric scraps in my stash. The shirt fabric is actually from Ayla's first birthday dress last August. I'm thinking of knitting her up a little sweater and making a pair of shorts to finish her off completely.
A blurred picture but this is what she'll be going thru for the rest of her dolly life. Ayla walks around calling her 'bebe'. We took her out this morning and she was quite the picture in her 'Jackie O' coat and a bebe cradled in her arms. I could hear the hearts melting that's for sure (not to mention the 'Ooh would you just look at her' comments). Go make some dolls!


4 comments:
Wow, I love it!
Um . . . so you ARE going to sell these right? Maybe an etsy store??
I love this.My daughter has a waldorf doll which she just adores.
Are you selling any vegan waldorf dolls? I am *very* interested...
Post a Comment