Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First birthdays

As promised I'm back with a quick post on the lovely day we had today. My baby celebrated her first birthday! I can't really believe it's gone by so quickly. A year ago today I was making labor soup and then going from my labor tub to my bed trying to find the most comfortable position. It was super intense but I would not have had it any other way. Except maybe I would have stayed home to have her instead of going to the hospital. That turned out to be a pain!

So last night I stayed up till 1am trying to finish her birthday dress and bib. I wanted to start on the crown as well but I was too tired and knew I still had to be up for work. Plus she's an early riser and usually doesn't let me over sleep my alarm.

I'm immensely pleased with the way it turned out. I used the New Look 6796 pattern as a template for this. I altered the bodice front because I just wanted to finish by the end and didn't feel like going into too much more detail. I found this fabric at Fabricville and instantly fell in love with it. I knew it was destined to be her birthday dress. I must say I took 150 pictures today and there's not one in there that shows a decent shot of her in the dress! She's always on the move!

I put together the crown today, I wanted to embroider an 'A' on the front but again it will have to be left for another time. I plan on saving this crown so that she can wear it always on her birthday as a tradition. I love starting new traditions.

The cake decorating could have been better but I'm not very good with icing. I usually just get it all over the place and it's never a consistency that is easily workable for what I want to do. She loved looking at the candles on the cake...

But wasn't too keen on the blowing out part.

And finally, I wanted to get her a little wooden walker wagon that she could push around the house since she's just starting to get the hang of walking. I found one at Toys R Us much to my surprise and bought it. It's not as nice as what I originally wanted but I think it will do for it's intended purpose.

She's such a charmer, I can't wait to see what another year will bring. :)

3 comments:

Andi said...

Happy Birthday, Ayla!

What a cutie! She looks all grown up. I can't believe it's been a year. And such intelligence in her eyes...

As usual, excellent work on the sewing. The crown is particularly adorable, and I have no doubt that it will be a lovely family tradition.

And by the way, Lee and I both think that her tp stunt was just hilarious.

IsaChandra said...

She is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you are an AMAZING mom! Her little dress could not be cuter. (Neither could she!)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online