Monday, March 16, 2009

Party Skirt

As promised here is a picture of the skirt I made for Ayla for the birthday party on Sunday. When I went shopping for fabric to make Abigail's gift I couldn't help myself and bought half a yard of a nice Amy Butler fabric my quilt shop had on display. I had exactly the skirt I wanted drafted up in my mind when I bought it so it was just a matter of cutting it out and sewing it up. As you can probably guess there was no pattern for this. Completely ad lib. That's what I love about making clothing. Sometimes you can do that and not screw up too badly. Take this skirt for instance. I measured Ayla's waist and waist to knee length before making the skirt. Then put it all together and sewed it all up and voila! Too big! Ugh! For some reason I measured her waist as being 2 inches, yes 2 inches, bigger than it really is. I think it was that slightly pudgy belly she's still carrying around.

In any case as you can see at the back of the skirt I had to add 2 darts and take in the waist. I guess this way I can always take them out when she does actually grow those extra 2 inches in the waist. The only drawback about this skirt is that I didn't finish the inside seams with my serger. It was late and I really wanted to finish it in time so I skipped that part. But now it's all unravelly and I hate that. So I'll have to think of something before I lose the hem. I also made a bib to go with it at the last minute.

Unfortunately, this is the only sorry picture I have of her in the skirt at the party! Shameful, I know, but you get the picture. (PS. She's calling Nana.)

2 comments:

Andi said...

That is just too cute! I love that Amy Butler fabric! I've been on a fabric diet myself lately, so I've been drooling over my computer a lot.

Thanks for your compliments about my knitting. I've found that the website http://www.knittinghelp.com/ has been super useful. It has videos for all the techniques, including knitting in the round.

Will keep you posted on the sewing machine purchase!

Anonymous said...

That is so adorable - and I love that fabric. It's hard to get Amy Butler over here, which is maybe I good thing, because I'd buy a bunch! Toddler bellies are like that - so cute.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online