Sunday, March 22, 2009

Happy Birthday Lucas and other sewing projects

A quick update on the birthday gifts I made for Ayla's friend, Lucas. His mom admired the tote bag I made for Abigail last weekend so I promised to make a similar one for him. I decided to make him pyjama pants to go with it. I couldn't decide on what to make as a toy so I went the 'buy' route. Very bad I know, but in my defense I do only try to buy toys that are wooden and quality. So I headed to Toys R Us. Usually the last place to look for quality wooden toys to be honest but I didn't have the time to wait for shipping. I had been there months back and I knew they had come out with a line of wooden toys that I had admired for Ayla but never bought. So I headed straight for that section and found exactly what I wanted (the wooden racecar and drivern in case you're wondering). I must say it didn't disappoint. It was even better looking out of the box.

I also threw together another outfit for Ayla because I just couldn't help myself. The cargo pants are the same pattern I used for the pyjama pants for Lucas but just with pockets and a flap added. The top was again another ad lib creation. I just had a vague idea in my head of what I wanted and tried it out. I actually looked at the fabric and tried to picture something jumping out at me if that makes sense. And so this is what it turned into. It was a little large across the chest so I put that dart in the middle and I actually really like it more with the dart.

On to the confession part of the blog. So I went fabric shopping. Well in my defense I didn't have the right fabric to make all of Lucas's gift so I had to buy some of it. But I swear going into the fabric store is probably similar to an alcholic in a liquor store. Maybe not as bad but you get the picture. It's a sad state that any fabric crazed person can attest to. In any case I got some really great stuff in the bargain bins and the sale aisles (see I wasn't that bad afterall). One of which was this really great workout wear fabric that I made Ayla some lounge pants in. She really is low on proper fitting pants so you'll probably be seeing more of them. It's pretty much just elastic waisted easy peasy stuff. Maybe I might throw in a pocket or two here and there but I doubt I'll get much more fancier than that (I'm sure I'll be eating my words in a couple of weeks on this one). By the way, sorry for the horrible pictures of these pants but Ayla refused to stand still. The black and white picture is the only one I have of her standing sort of properly in them.

I'm going to try casting on the cap sleeved spring top for Ayla. I saw it on SouleMama the other day and I fell in love. It's actually from the Soulful Hues blog. So wish me luck because the only thing I've ever finished knitting was that scarf I made for Ayla. I even had to go out and buy some circular needles so we'll see how long this takes me with Ayla and Mia pulling at my yarn.

1 comment:

Andi said...

I can't believe how big Ayla is getting! I feel like a dork for saying it, but she's growing up so fast. I have to admire your sewing skills. Fitting fabric to human forms is one skill I yet lack.

And I'm glad that you're making that little sweater. I thought it was too cute, but alas, have no use for it myself. Which reminds me, I was watching Martha Stewart the other day, and I saw her make a little stove and kitchen set out of household items, including some felt foods. Perhaps a little anti-feminist, but I thought it would be adorable for Ayla. Here are the links:

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/cardboard-oven-craft?autonomy_kw=file%20box%20stove&rsc=header_1

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/felt-cherry-pie?autonomy_kw=felt%20food&rsc=header_1

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online