Thursday, March 26, 2009

A knitting first (for me that is)

I always start by saying it will be a short/quick post and then I end up writing a novel. But this time I mean it. I'm so tired but I just had to show you my latest finished project. Last time I mentioned that I was going to try making my first ever knitted garment. The Soulful Hues cap sleeved shirt for Ayla. I ran out to Wal-Mart to get some yarn and the right needles. I hate Wal-Mart but they're good for when you're in a pinch. Their yarn sucks but I didn't trust myself to make this top without messing up horribly so I wanted to try it on crap (ie. acrylic) yarn before turning to something else. In any case I found one that I thought would knit up quite nicely because I was really liking the color tones. I only changed the pattern slightly because I was sure it would be too big by casting on less stiches and shortening some rows. I also made the JCasa non-roll cap sleeve (picture above) and I added a 2x2 ribbing at the bottom. I can't help myself I always have to change patterns even when I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

Unfortunately, after it was all said and done it looks like an army print! Ugh, definitely not what I was expecting at all. I'll have to go check out my local yarn shop that is sadly closing down because the owner passed away and her family is selling it. It's the only yarn shop in all of Red Deer so I'm quite saddened by it. I'll be stuck with Wal-Mart and Michael's but thankfully there's always the internet. I just hate waiting on shipping. I actually found a great online vegan yarn store called Knit for Brains. That's where I bought my bamboo yarn from a few months back. I still haven't knit anything with that because I don't want to ruin it. It's so lovely just to hold. I'll have to buy more soon. I noticed that they've got a great selection on hemp, banana, corn, soy and cotton fibered yarns in addition to the bamboo so check it out if you're interested in that sorta thing.

Oh, and there's one thing I've discovered about acrylic yarn that I really don't like besides the feel of it. It leaves the wearer feeling quite hot! After taking those few quick snaps of Ayla when I went to take it off she was all hot and sweaty from just running around for a minute in the top. I know I shouldn't diss acrylic yarn because it really is good in a pinch which I'm sure I'll find myself in quite often.

Last thing in this quick novel I'm writing. I went to Chapter's today... well we really went to Starbucks for Alex to get a coffee but I got called out to the knitting section of the store, I swear. So while I was shopping, er browsing, I saw this book, Essential Kids by Debbie Bliss. I've never heard of her but it's 20 patterns for children ages 2 to 5. Right up my alley! I can't wait to get started. Did I mention that I really love knitting in the round, very addictive. I see some hats in my future. Now why couldn't I have discovered this love when it was still technically winter?

1 comment:

Jen Treehugger said...

I LOVE the design of this. I would so wear one of those.
:)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online