Tuesday, September 30, 2008

On food, freecycle and sleeping babes

I know, I know, it's been awhile. Maybe I should stop starting my blogs this way. Perhaps you should just assume that my postings will be few and far between so no one will be disappointed. I can't help it. I get carried away with life and then realize, oops! I haven't written on the blog in a week.

Well I know this is a blog about crafts and being vegan but this month as I pointed out two posts ago will be all about food. I was looking around and some people have themes to go with Vegan MoFo. I don't have any such aspirations. I'll just cook some good food (hopefully it'll be good!) and post about it. I'll try to do a daily post about what we're eating. It won't always be dinner. Sometimes lunch or breakfast. Actually I couldn't have chosen a better month to do this because for the month of October I'll be working only in the afternoons. So I'll have the time to make lovely elaborate breakfasts to post about. I can't wait now that I'm thinking about it!

Ok so there are three things I want to post about today. First up is a sandwich I made from a Tofurky sandwich meat I picked up at an amazing health food store in Calgary last weekend. It was the hickory flavored one. Mind you it didn't taste at all like hickory anything, but more like turkey. Anyway, I was craving a good sandwich and I loved how thin it was sliced, reminded me of my pre-vegan sandwich days. So I whipped this little baby together.

Alex raved and raved about it (he had two sandwiches). Actually, I made it for him one day for his lunch at work and one of his coworkers was asking him as he was eating it whether or not he didn't miss meat. He laughed and said 'heck no!' This was the same coworker that asked him if he didn't miss cake because she mistakenly thought he was going to miss out on having a birthday cake on his birthday last month. As if! I wonder why people continually think we're deprived. Oh I should mention, it's the Tofurky sandwich meat on an italian calabrese bread with dijon mustard, cucumbers, tomatoes, onion sprouts and mixed leafy greens. So simple but so delicious.

Second, tonight we had pasta. Alex loves pasta. It must be the Italian in him ;) in any case he made the sauce while I was at work. It was the Light Tomato Marinara Sauce recipe from Nonna's Italian Kitchen by Bryanna Clark Grogan. It wasn't our regular recipe, we usually make the Ragu alla Napoletana but Alex didn't realize that when he went to make it. In any case, it was very good and definitely worth making again. I think it would be a good sauce for lasagna or other kinds of stuffed pasta dishes. Don't you just love the steam rising off it? So in the moment.

Third, I got a ginormous bag of patterns from a fellow freecycler today. I didn't realize it would be so much. A whole garbage bag full! And some of the clothing patterns are all the way from the 60s! Really vintage and oh so good. I can't wait to go thru and classify them all. Exciting! Too bad I'm on a sewing hiatus right now. But you can be sure that when it's time to make Christmas gifts I'll be all over it like white on rice!

And last but not least. My darling Ayla. I came home from lunch in anticipation of seeing her smiling face saying 'hi!' to me at the top of the stairs. Only to find her fast asleep in her highchair with a spoon in her hand. I love the spoon. I love that she has more 'attachments' to the ordinary stuff in her life than the few toys that end up scattered everywhere.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online