Monday, September 22, 2008

Autumn

I woke up this morning asking myself if today was the first day of autumn. Or was it yesterday? I don't know and I'm too lazy to check so I'll just assume it's today. It was a lovely day out, the morning was crisp and hazy. The perfect day to mark the start of autumn (if it is indeed today). This weekend I visited friends in Calgary and we had a nice time chatting and strolling at the mall. They have an amazing health food store in Calgary that was basically a vegan haven for so many things I can't find in Red Deer. I bought some soy jerky for Alex and some Tofurky sandwich slices. I can't believe how thin they're sliced! I also got my first bag of Tings! If you don't know what Tings are then you haven't tasted the best vegan snack food ever! Well ok maybe that's debatable but they're definitely worth another trip to Calgary sometime in the future to buy another bag. They're basically Cheetos (the crinkley kind) but without the smelly cheese. We all agreed that they were very addictive.

I had to add this last one even though it's slightly blurry because it's so typical of Ayla. Like we haven't seen her shoving someone off her before. It always cracks me up. :)

The other day we made the Salt and Pepper Tofu from Veganomicon. Well it's not actually in VCon because they forgot to put it in! But you can find the recipe on the PPK. It was delicous as usual. Definitely something worth making many many times.

I also made the Broccoli Cashew Teriyaki Tofu stir fry from Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. I have to say that I've made this so many times and it just tastes better and better. I can't get enough of it, it's delicious.

I put together my grocery list for October because I want to be sure that we'll have some yummy things to make for the start of Vegan MoFo. Don't be surprised if I don't post till then but I'll try my best to be more regular. It's just hard trying to find something to write about when I'm neither cooking nor crafting lately. I'm still buried in my financial books. I get like that sometimes.

And last but not least. Just a glimpse of how entertaining Ayla can be. She's obsessed with the garbage can in the computer room. Now she actually likes to put things in it. You can see in the first picture she's putting her cell phone (my old one) in it. And then she's taking things out and snacking on them. Some might say 'ew' but it's only paper. No harm done :) If you click on the picture it should blow up somewhat (sorry for the resizing blur around the edges).

2 comments:

Andi said...

Didn't you know that a garbage can can provide hours of fun? Hehehe, that's very cute.

For the record, Monday was the first day of Fall. Lee and I have really been feeling the weather changing, so we declared Monday a Fall Celebration day, and made leek and potato soup and ate homemade challah. Lee also took out a whole bunch of our fall decoration items, and put them up as a surprise for me. It was lovely.

I'm excited to wear sweaters again, and we're also really looking forward to being in Montreal for most of the fall. I really miss the leaves changing. Here, they just turn brown and drop dead.

And I've been feeling bad about not crafting as much myself. Start of the school year is just hellish...

Anonymous said...

You are both so stinkin' cute I can't stand it! I'll have to try your stirfry, it looks delish. I'll be checking up on you this month.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online