Sunday, August 10, 2008

Swimsuit dilemma

I've had a very busy week lately and never seem to find the time to post about it. Actually I'm writing this while I should be in bed since I have a full day at work tomorrow. This weekend I decided that we would definitely be going back to the beach because it was going to be so hot that it was the only sensible thing to do. But unfortunately I wasn't loving any of the bathing suits that I owned. Which in the last few months have somehow mysteriously amounted to...dare I say it...four. But in my defense two of them were bought when I was pregnant so that shouldn't even count. Not that they were maternity bathing suits. Actually Alex is very cross with me because I never actually went swimming in them when I was pregnant and so it was basically a waste of money. And it really was because one of them cost a pretty penny. But I digress. All of those bathing suits are two pieces and so I wanted a one piece that wasn't too scanty but was still nice. I had seen the Alison pattern on Burda Style and decided to give it a try. I hopped over to Fabricville after work on Friday to get the fabric. Hoping that I'd have it done by Saturday morning. It's a bathing suit after all how much time will that take? A lot! Phew! I almost didn't even finish on time. Actually there are two safety pins fixing the top just how I wanted it because I didn't have time (or feel like it) to actually tact them in place properly before we had to go. I changed the design a little bit because really if I had to rate the instructions on making this bathing suit on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it a -1 it was that horrible. I actually had to use instructions from someone who had made it and was kind enough to write down what she had done. Of course the link to her site is escaping me now but that's not important, unless you want to make it. If you do beware it is not for the faint at sewing heart!

A small note on these pictures. A couple of days ago I was fiddling with my camera settings and basically made it so that the colors and everything would turn out super sharp and very saturated. Well when I got to the beach I checked everything except that one little bit. So all of my beach photos don't look so hot. But hopefully you can get an idea of what my bathing suit looks like. I'll have to get Alex to take a proper picture of me in it so you can see the colors. Here are my ex-coworkers, who joined us at the beach. I'm so glad they could come! It was really nice hanging out with them. It's just too bad that we can't get together more often!

One last thing before I head to bed. On Friday while I was at work Alex called to tell me that Ayla took her first steps. I was so disappointed that I missed them! Sigh... But anyway, this evening she started practicing all over the place! She's really getting the hang of it. It's so amazing to see her try to get her balance and put one foot forward then steady herself and then the next foot. Really, if it were only for this one thing I would say it's so worth it to have my babe.

3 comments:

Andi said...

I can't believe you made a bathing suit! That's so impressive. And it looks gorgeous! Not to mention the figure underneath. ;) You know, silly me didn't think it was possible to make bathing suits at home, but I guess I was wrong. But seriously, despite the pain in the ass that you say it was, you look lovely. It is a really flattering pattern.

And Mazal Tov on Ayla's first steps! That's quite the accomplishment! Looks like she takes after her talented mum.

eesh said...

Thanks for all the compliments! You could totally make a bathing suit! But perhaps an easier pattern would be better. It's so great because you know it will fit you perfectly. I've been having just a horrid time finding bathing suits here for a decent price but that look good.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I totally bow at the feet of anyone who can make her own bathing suit. It looks beautiful!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online