Monday, August 18, 2008

Heat wave

We've been having quite the heat wave here in central Alberta so I've not really been in the mood to do much. I kept thinking I should update the blog but the computer's upstairs where it's about 5 degrees hotter than downstairs so I opt to stay downstairs in my sewing room. Lucky me that my sewing room is down there so I can while away my time without passing out from heat stroke! And speaking of the computer room. On Saturday we went to Ikea to buy some new desks to spruce things up a bit. We had bought really small ones when we got here two years ago with the intention of going bigger later on when we could afford it.

I have to say it makes such a huge difference in here, I love it. I wish I could show the whole thing in one shot but that's just not going to happen. I'm happy that I now have a place to showcase my many cookbooks. Yes I have quite the handful and Alex actually bought me another one the other day. Vegan Express by Nava Atlas. I have yet to read it and make something. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow. We've been ordering these last few days because I'm avoiding the stove and not surprisingly so is Alex.

The other day I was reading Angry Chicken and she had posted a recipe for making your own lip balm. I, of course, am extremely interested in such things so I immediately went over to Mountain Rose Herbs where she bought her stuff and ordered the same things. It arrived a couple of days ago and I set to work. I felt like I was in my own little chem lab at my dining room table. Alex just thought I was nuts. But in the end it turned out wonderfully. I love it, the only thing is that with this extreme heat we're having (did I mention we're having a heat wave?) it melts very quickly in that metal container. I made two tins so it should last me quite some time. I'm thinking of getting another essential oil and making a different flavor when this batch runs out.

On a completely unrelated note, here's some pictures of Ayla feasting on her toes. I love it.

Oh and she decided to 'help' us out yesterday.

2 comments:

Andi said...

Love the desk, love the Sims boxes stacked on one side ;) and I love the pictures of Ayla. She's too adorable.

Did you like the lip balm? I've been debating getting the stuff to make her homemade deodorant. Was it that difficult to make? I've ordered stuff from Mountain Rose Herbs in the past, and they are great. Of course, I still have an entire chest full of a wide variety of essential oils. They've been super helpful in making all of our cleaning products. You should smell our disinfectant: sweet orange, lemon, and grapefruit. So yummy.

eesh said...

I love the lip balm. However, next time I'll add a little bit less of the oils (almond and vit e) so that it will stay firmer under warm temps. Other than that it's perfect. I was actually eying her deodorant recipe I think I'll try that as the temps start to cool down so that I don't have to deal with the sweating issue. lol

Your cleaning products sound amazing. Right now I'm just using Dr. Bonner's Sal Suds and I love that.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online