Monday, June 16, 2008

Finshed projects

Today dawned bright and lovely outside and so I decided to get some good pictures in of my finished projects. Last night I got it in my mind to make Ayla some dungarees. Dungarees are basically a type of overalls. Well it didn't work out as planned. I got one of those books for Christmas called Crafts for Baby by Alison Jenkins and basically all of the patterns are in the back of the book but they need to be scanned and enlarged to the proper size. I have problems with books like this because if you get the urge to start crafting in the middle of the night then you're kind of stuck with small patterns that you can't really do much with. Anyway, I got it in my head that I'd try to enlarge it on the computer and then work with it from there. Needless to say that I didn't get the sizing exactly right (surprise surprise) and so I had some major tweaking to do. Basically I had to cut away the pants part of the pattern because it was just too small and so I made it into a skirt.

I'm quite happy with the outcome. I had some buttons from I have no idea where but they went perfectly with the outfit. I decided to outline it in pink instead of using the same fabric as a bias because people always seem to think she's a boy when we're out in public. I just love bias tape it's such an easy way to finish projects if you're feeling too lazy and don't want to do any rolled hems or what not. Mind you I have a serger but I have yet to use it.

I also had an idea kicking around in my head about mounting some fabric on these stretched canvas boards I had bought at the dollar store way back when. Well it seems as if the cards were all lined up because I kept stumbling on blogs showing how to make silhouettes with fabric on canvas and I thought that would knock up my idea a notch.

I'm pleased as punch with how it turned out. I still have to add a finishing coat on top of it but it's so lovely. I just adore this fabric so much and I knew I wanted to do something special with it where I'd have to look at it everyday. I still have another canvas and I'm thinking of doing another one with the same fabric but this time make the silhouette be of the fabric and the background be black. We'll see, I'm not sure I want to paint that much over the fabric design since I like it so much.

And finally here are the finished products of the gift I'll be sending out to Alex's sister for her new baby, Lucas. I tried my hand at a quilt again and I have to say it's definitely a learning process. I'm thinking I should have quilted over the middle square because there's a rule out there about how far apart you should do quilting so it doesn't pucker the fabric. Well I disregarded that rule when making this quilt and of course my fabric puckered in the middle. I still like it and think it's still perfect for a gift. I had loads of fabric left so decided to make two bibs to go along with it and then because no baby gift is complete without a toy I decided to make another of my felt block squares. They're so easy to put together but this time I used colors that went with the theme of the gift.













If you had a look at my flickr page recently then you'll notice that I made one for Ayla some time ago that she doesn't really play with. She likes to pick at the felt then eat it. ;)

I bought some flowers (I think they're begonias) earlier in May in the hopes that with my limited amount of sunlight I could still have a balcony garden. I'm happy to say that they're blooming nicely and so I think I'll be buying some more the next time we're out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome, I love the little dress, it came out perfect even though it was supposed to be pants! I have to learn about bias tape! It looks great! The gift for Alex's sisters baby is awesome! I need to learn how to make those "simple" blocks, they are too cute!

LeArmoire said...

I love the dress! How creative and cute!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online