Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Camping and summer sewing

I just realized that it's been 4 days since I last posted. Well there was a good reason. We went camping! It was only for one night but that's besides the point. We decided at the last minute and threw everything together and just left. We got to the campsite about an hour later and started setting up, but much to our chagrin it started to rain as we were putting up the tent. Sigh. So we had a really wet night. The next day we woke up sore from having slept on the ground but nice and toasty as we bought some really great sleeping bags. I should mention here that in our haste to leave we didn't really pack for the weather conditions and forgot many little things. We ended up having to go into the nearby town to buy things because of it. We're such newbs! Anyway, when we heard on the car radio that there was a severe thunderstorm watch for our area we decided to cut it short and just head home. Next time we'll be better prepared and stay for longer!

The other day I was busy in my sewing room making one of the many outfits I would like to sew up for this summer. I made a quick trip to Wal-Mart one day last week to look for a pattern for bermuda shorts and anything else I could think of. I came across a cute pattern for some tops and decided to buy it. So this is what came of it.

I have many things to say about this top. It looks really nice in pictures. But it fits kinda wonky. First of all I didn't have any interfacing and so I just used some fabric I had on hand. Well needless to say it made the upper portion too thick for my liking. I ummed and ahhed about it for a long time before just deciding to use it and now I wish I hadn't. Then because my bust size is slightly larger than the size 10 that I usually am on the pattern sizing I decided to up it to the size 12. Big mistake! Well not that big but now it's just too wide in all the wrong places. Argh! And I really liked this fabric too! Oh well! Another excuse for me to go fabric shopping. I really want to find some light weight cotton with nice prints that I can use for my summer tops. Next on my list to sew are those bermuda shorts I originally went shopping for. Also, I mentioned awhile ago about having found a new site called Burda Style. Most of their patterns are for free but you have to print them out at home on numerous sheets of paper that you piece together or you can just go to a copy shop and get them to print it out one one large sheet. I called a copy shop today and found out they do print in larger sizes (not like my Staples!) for a decent price so I'll be headed over there soon to print up the very many patterns I have saved up. I can't wait some of them are really amazing.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online