Saturday, February 23, 2008

Long overdue

I know I should have posted way before this but I just haven't been in the mood. I've just been reading many books and websites on stuff related to veganism, the meat industry and what not. And basically plaguing my mom with a bunch of facts and statistics. I almost felt vindicated when the U.S. beef recall happened except it was so bittersweet. It's just so terrible to see animals treated that way and all because of our own gluttonous appetite for their flesh. People actually think that that's an isolated incident and that it doesn't happen that exact way each and every time a cow goes down. I just wish that half the people that ate meat would actually look into what's going on their plate and not adopt the 'I don't want to know' attitude. The whole meat industry is corrupted and white washed and I'm almost 99.9% sure that a lot of the meat that people are eating these days are infected with mad cow. I just really hope that I stopped eating it in time because unlike those people that say 'well we have to die from something someday' I really don't want to go out that way. To make matters even more scary just this past December another cow was found in Alberta to have mad cow. Scientists say that the occurrence of BSE ( bovine spongiform encephalopathy) also known as mad cow, occurs naturally in cattle one in a million times per year. Canada kills 3 million cattle every year. Yet they, like the U.S. are still standing by their claim that they have no mad cow in any of their herds. If you do the math then really 3 cows should have BSE every year in Canada. The fact that they haven't found that many is really scary. According to Wikipedia:

"It is believed, but not proven, that the disease [BSE] may be transmitted to human beings who eat infected carcasses. In humans, it is known as new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD or nvCJD), and by June 2007, it had killed 165 people in Britain, and six elsewhere with the number expected to rise because of the disease's long incubation period."

Well, I hope I'm not preaching to the choir but if I can get at least one meat eating person to look into what's really going on their plate then I'll be happy. I think it's very irresponsible for someone to just say 'I don't want to know' when it comes to their food. I for one want to know exactly where my food is coming from, I want to know that it's been grown in healthy soil and and hasn't been sprayed with a crap load of pesticides and insecticides and that I'll be getting the best nutrient rich produce that my money can buy. In the words of Howard Lyman "If you don't want to know where your food is coming from then maybe you shouldn't be putting it in your mouth." On that note, I'll leave you with pics of some of the great foods I've been cooking up these last few weeks.


And Ayla, sleeping not so peacefully. Note the knitted brows. I wonder what she's dreaming about.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Eesh, are you a chef/baker?? Do you cook homemade food everyday? It all looks so beautiful and professional, wow! And I came on here to tell you Ayla is SO beautiful, I love the profile pic of her on Babyfit. TTYL, Joyce

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online