So yesterday was very tiring for me. My little angel decided that nap times are optional at 6 weeks old and was up for 11 hrs straight. Actually to steal the words from another mom, she was cranking for 11 hr straight. Needless to say I didn't get anything done and dinner was shot. You might be saying 'well at least you had some leftover soup' but did I mention that I put broccoli in it and that broccoli is on my list of 'What I cannot eat while breastfeeding' list. Yes I totally forgot about that little list when adding the broccoli to a soup that didn't call for broccoli in the first place. That's what happens when you tinker with an otherwise perfect recipe.
Taking a page from yesterday's book I decided to start preparing dinner early today before Alex left for work. Once again from Vegan with a Vengeance I made up some jerk tofu and coconut rice. Well actually it's Jerk Seitan but my seitan was frozen and I couldn't be bothered with that. Some things take planning in advance nowadays. I must say that this doesn't actually taste like the jerk you'd find in let's say, Jamaica. But it's still a very good marinade and dinner turned out amazing! The recipe says to marinate for 1hr but seeing as I started very early it marinated all day so the tofu was really flavorful. And man do I ever love coconut rice!
I was thinking that this would have gone very well with some okra or some other West Indian type vegetables but I don't even think they have okra here in Red Deer and I'll be lucky to find anything more exotic than a papaya. One thing about this recipe. Next time I'll have to fry my tofu first and then do the onions and green peppers. While my tofu was browning the onions started to burn so I had to take everything out the pan then fry the tofu separately. Not fun.


2 comments:
can i have the recipe for that? it looks amazing! i just made tofu on wednesday, AND have have okra! please share. =)
I can't believe she stayed up for 11 hours straight!! Thats my worst nightmare come true! I hope she NEVER does that to you again : )
Post a Comment