Sunday, October 14, 2007

Lazy sunday

Today I had my head filled with all of the things I wanted to do but unfortunately that is usually my problem. Too much to do so nothing gets done. But luckily I have been keeping busy the last few days that I didn't post. On Thursday night I believe, I decided to make some cupcakes. What happened to those lovely muffins you ask? Well I ate all 9 of them. Yes I fully admit it. Not to take the full blame for being so gluttonous I must say that I did try to give one to Alex for his lunch but he never ate it, so I helped him out. Anyway, I'm a big dessert person and I can't have a pantry devoid of sweets. And seeing as how I'm on a big cooking binge right now I made the Lemon Gem Cupcakes in VwaV. Can I mention now that I've decided to make Vegan with a Vengeance my cookbook of the month. It's so incredible and about 90% of the things I've been making have come from it. And so far I haven't been disappointed.

The cupcakes turned out delish even Alex had one and proclaimed that they were 'really good!' He's a sucker for anything with icing on it though. The next cupcake I would like to make is her Fauxtess one. You know in replica of those Hostess cakes they sell. But I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells black cocoa in Canada (not even online). Not Dutch process, but black. Like the kind they make Oreo cookies with. So I'll keep looking and if not I'll just have to order them to someone who lives in the States and then get it shipped to me. A real hassle!

So this morning I was itching for some scrambled tofu and I really wanted to try that recipe again in VwaV for Tempeh Bacon. I had some tempeh that I bought that was cooling it's heels in my freezer for quite some time. It turned out pretty good. I would say that it's a definite bonus since I haven't been able to find the veggie bacon that Yves makes at my grocery store anymore. So this could be a good second for when I'm in a pinch and craving it. I think that I would still tweak some things here and there in the recipe to suit my palate even better. And well my scrambled tofu that's just my own creation. I don't like the scrambled tofu recipes that I've found in most cookbooks and on the web. To be honest I like the plain taste that's closer to scrambled eggs than anything. I can't take strong flavors so early in the morning. So here's my recipe for the more delicate morning taste buds.

Eesh's Scrambled Tofu

1 package of Mori-Nu silken tofu (firm or extra firm)
3 scallions chopped
1 small tomato chopped
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
2 slices of Yves veggie ham chopped finely (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined (the nutritional yeast flakes will 'dissolve' into everything). I usually use my cast iron pan but you can use whatever frying pan you have on hand. Spray lightly with vegetable oil first. Fry for 10-15 mins or until some of the tofu starts to get a golden brown. Enjoy!

Yesterday I took an unplanned trip to Calgary to visit Meese. It was so lovely being out of the house. We went to the mall and I carried Ayla in my sling for the first time. She didn't fuss at all and fell asleep shortly after getting there. While we were walking around I got it in my head that I'm going to make a diaper bag. I couldn't get the thought out of my head once I came up with it and spent the better half of the day and night thinking about designs and color schemes. So maybe in the near future you'll be seeing fabrics and then a finished diaper bag on this blog.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online