Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Thanksgiving and posting delays

Yesterday was Thanksgiving and it reminded me that this time last year I was writing my last post on Vegan Engineer. Unfortunately, I didn't have the same spread I prepared last year. Not only do I not have the time to get so elaborate but Alex was working and so I would have just been preparing it for me. But I wasn't without a fully home cooked meal yesterday. I've been looking thru my many cookbooks and I pulled out Vegan with a Vengeance to get some ideas for dinner. As some of you may know I fell completely off the vegan bandwagon when I got pregnant and would occasionally be found eating eating dairy or fish (and can I just say how the guilt overtook me every single time). But now that I don't have any more raging hormones, all day sickness or constant food cravings I'm getting back on my high horse. So last night I wanted to make something fast and easy and stumbled upon the Asparagus and Potato soup in VwaV. I had all the ingredients on hand so it was a perfect fit. Except as I started making it I thought to myself, wouldn't it be wonderful if there was some broccoli in this. Then I thought maybe I'll add some grated carrots for color and then since I hadn't eaten lunch I thought maybe I'll add some silken tofu for that extra punch. So when it was all said and done I had my own little soup going on. It tasted amazing! I still pureed 3/4 of it at the end so it was very creamy just the way I wanted it. After all that I decided I needed something bread like to go with the soup and wouldn't know you Isa had a wonderful biscuit recipe ready to go in that wonderful cookbook of hers! And they turned out so yummy! They were kind of flaky and very buttery tasting. So good! For dessert I decided to make the Carob Chip Muffins from Vive le Vegan! again. Except I didn't have any carob chips so I subbed in some chocolate chips. Oh I just love this recipe. I can't get enough of the little crunch the shredded coconut gives. As you can see I still had a great dinner last night that I could not complain about at all.

Speaking of all this food, I've decided I want to try to make as many recipes from my cookbooks as possible. I would have to say that's my other great addiction. Buying cookbooks. I'll have to make a post about all the ones I do have just in case anyone is interested in trying them out. So far I haven't been disappointed in any of them. I need to make a wish list on Chapters to keep track of all the ones I want to get. Every time I go to buy one I know I'm forgetting one I want even more.

I would like to add here that I started this post this afternoon at around lunch time. It is now past 9pm! Yes people, I didn't get a moment of peace to myself all day. So I'm going to just wrap up this post so I can go and finally relax. Maybe I'll have something more interesting to say tomorrow after a good night's rest!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online