So I'm on a cupcake binge. I can't get enough of the stuff. I finally got around to making that
Chapters Wishlist and
Vegan Cupcakes take Over the World was on it. But I couldn't help myself and I ordered it yesterday. I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival in the mail. I shall not make another cupcake until I receive it. I also ordered
Veganomicon, Isa's newest cookbook which isn't even released yet and
Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol, for the crafty woman in me. I saw a really cute purse/bag on a flicr group the other day and realized that I must make it immediately so I didn't put off buying the book for another second. I actually flipped thru the pages last Saturday with Meese on my unplanned trip to Calgary. But back to the matter at hand. Cupcakes. I love them. They're so wonderful. It's like a cake for one. And not just a measly slice, but something you can devour with your eyes before plunging into it's moist deliciousness. So I caved and made the Fauxstess cupcake in VwaV. Well not really caved, I don't have the black chocolate so I decided to just make a regular chocolate cupcake with a ganache frosting and none of the other fixings. I had a raspberry chocolate bar from Tropical Source hanging around that I wasn't sure what to do with so I used it to make the ganache (hence the little flecks in the frosting). It all turned out heavenly. My mouth waters just thinking of it now. Alex was thrilled and couldn't get enough... he loves chocolate. He asked me if I couldn't make some for his coworkers. He likes when I make things that are unbelievably good cause then he tries to get me to share it with the non-vegan world. As if to say 'Can you believe this is vegan!?' LOL.

Yes, yes it is my dear. I also made the Carrot Bisque and the BBQ Pomegranate Tofu. Both turned out excellent! Except I didn't have any pomegranate molasses, so I subbed in some blackstrap molasses. I know it's totally not the same but I'd have to order pomegranate molasses online because there's no way I'd find that in Red Deer. Maybe Calgary or Edmonton though, I'll have to think of it the next time I go to either of those cities.


And finally today's breakfast and dinner. Oh my! I made the Lemon Corn Waffles with Blueberry sauce also from you guessed it VwaV. I can't say enough good stuff about it! I'll definitely be having seconds tomorrow morning.

I decided to digress from VwaV for a moment and make a spaghetti sauce for dinner tonight. In our family spaghetti sauces are usually Alex's domain. But I decided that I would make my first real sauce using a cookbook I bought especially for him.
Nonna's Italian Kitchen by Bryanna Clark Grogan. And you guessed it, it's a vegan Italian cookbook. I must say, it's a phenomenal cookbook. I mean all of my cookbooks are great but I just love the stories behind almost all the recipes and the fact that most people would think you couldn't veganize anything Italian. But she has and to great success. So I made the Ragu alla Nepoletana, it was delicious! She recommends simmering it for 2 hours but I had mine simmering for practically the whole day.

Hopefully I can get to crafting once my book arrives. I know this has all been about cooking so far but as involved as it looks that's all I seem to have time for lately.
1 comment:
OMG Aisha!!!! I can't wait for the recipes!! =)
Post a Comment