Sunday, April 5, 2009

Feeling knitty

You would think that since I haven't written in an entire week that I'd have loads to say. But sadly that is far from the truth. But I have been feeling quite knitty in these last few days. I've even been listening to a great new knitting podcast called Cast-On with Brenda Dayne. It's a really good one and I just love her voice. But anyway, I love listening to podcasts while I work down in my sewing room.

This week I was working on Ayla's bolero or shrug if you prefer. It's from the Debbie Bliss book I bought on a whim at Chapters the other day. I've actually taken out quite a few knitting books by her from my local library. I have yet to start on anything but I have a lot of bookmarks. I'm actually thinking of just sticking to the more spring/summer type knits right now as doing a load of winter knits is not going to get me anywhere. Well, I guess I'd be a lot more prepared for winter but it won't be fun showing that off right now.

So back to Ayla's bolero/shrug. It took me a week to knit this up. And not because I'm a slow knitter. Which I am but because it wasn't my only project. I've actually been in the sewing room making some summer dresses for the little princess. So I've been trying to divide my time. It's done up in a worsted weight silky Bernat yarn called Sultana Raisin. I don't really like that fuzzy halo it gives to the finished garment. I could do without it. I bet it will be a mess once it's washed.

About this pattern. I liked it but I must say my work is not without errors. And there are many, thankfully they're not horribly noticeable. If I didn't already have like 100 things saved on Ravelry plus projects from the books I've taken out from the library to cast on then I'd do this again. But sadly I think this will be my one and only shot at it for a long while. Speaking of Ravelry, did I ever mention how much I love that site? I could really spend all day there getting nothing done. I think the next thing I make will be for myself. Ayla seems to be getting the better end of the deal around here.

3 comments:

Andi said...

I love the bolero! You are such a talented knitter. I'd like to make one of those for myself, though am slightly skeptical of how it would look given my chest size. ;)

Btw, did you hear about Fabricland's 50% off sale? All month, all the quilt batting and summer fabrics are on sale. Lee and I went today, and I stocked up on batting, quilt fabrics, and some really lovely cotton lawns for summer blouses, skirts, and dresses.

eesh said...

My mom said the same thing about the bolero (ie. making her one). I think I shall make one for myself next. Or a cardigan. Ravelry has sucked me in in the cardi section. I'll have to go back and check out Fabricland. I need summer fabric for myself.

Ayana said...

I am on Ravelry, too! My user name is ayanared. Unfortunately, every time I log on, I am so overwhelmed that I can't figure out what to do!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online