Friday, August 1, 2008

Triple A's

I wish I had more to write about lately. The sewing room cleaning is coming along, albeit very slowly. I have so many ideas of things to make running around in my head that I find myself in that stage where my thoughts are overwhelming me and so I just end up going to bed early while listening to podcasts of other people getting things done. Or reading many of the great crafty blogs out there. I did order some fabric from Pink Chalk Studio, I ordered two more stack packs of the Amy Butler fabric to get started on my summer quilt. I really want to finish it before the summer is out because I'm thinking that I want to make one for autumn as well. This will be my first attempt at a large quilt, I'm thinking something big enough to use on our bed. I'm not sure what pattern to go with. Amy Butler has a free quilt pattern up using her Midwest modern fabrics which are the ones in my stack packs but I'm not sure that fat quarters are applicable to that quilt pattern. She has some other free patterns (Thea's puzzle quilt and Lotus brick path quilt) that I'm loving so much but again I don't think my fat quarters are gonna cut it so I'm keeping a lookout for something that will work with what I have.

The other thing high on my to do list is making a birthday dress for Ayla. I'm not sure whether we're going to throw a party. The house is too small for that and honestly I can't be bothered with the hassle of it. But I still want her to have a birthday dress. Again, I'm not sure what fabric to use for it. I want something fun and girly. I was thinking Anna Maria Horner but she has so many amazing fabrics I can't choose just one! But I better start ordering soon because I need time for shipping and time for sewing!

4 comments:

Andi said...

Quilting is addictive... I like the midwest modern pattern, although I am being seduced by Thea's puzzle quilt. I don't think it matters if you use the exact fabrics that AB uses in her pattern. I think that you have a good eye for colour and coordination, and any selection will prove to be beautiful. Besides, quilting is supposed to be about fun and imagination. It will look beautiful in the end, no matter what.

If you want some more ideas for quilt patterns, I would suggest checking Denyse Schmidt's book on quilts from the library. It has some beautiful geometric and graphic designs. I'm going to use her drunk squares design for our bed, once I get around to it, and her hop, skip, jump quilt pattern for an auction to raise money for history students. Eventually....

Andi said...

After taking a closer look at the midwest modern pattern, I still think that it is a winner and that it would benefit from additional fabrics. However, I would suggest that rather than making it with only 9 blocks and a huge border, I would make it much larger, 16 blocks or more, continuing with the pattern, with a much slimmer boarder. But that's just my 2 cents...

eesh said...

Thanks for the tips! Once I get all my fabric I'm gonna lay it all out and decide what I'll do. Most likely I won't do that huge border as you were saying.

And I totally know who Sarah Richardson is! Duh! I watch her show all the time. I love her designs. I especially like when she does bathrooms for some reason. It always ends up looking spa-like and me wishing she'd come over and do mine.

Andi said...

I know what you mean. I told Lee that if he really loved me, he's hire her to redo our bathroom. ;)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online