Sunday, July 6, 2008

A new handbag

I've been yearning to make a summer handbag since I kept seeing really cute ones popping up all over blogland. When I picked up the June/July issue Threads a couple of weeks ago I knew immediately that I would have to whip up the handbag pattern included.

I'm immensely pleased with how it turned out. I originally wanted to quilt the bag but I wouldn't have had enough thread to finish it so I just kept it simple. The pattern on the fabric is so fabulous anyway that you don't even miss any elaborate designs. I mimicked the pocket detail on the front on the inside as well. I prefer to have some pockets in all of my handbags for keys and stuff. It doesn't have a clasp for closing and I debated adding something but in the end I just went for the wooden button detail on the front. I picked up a 1lb bag of random buttons at Wal-Mart for 3 dollars and these wonderful wooden buttons were in it. I'm so glad I found three of them to match. I still have some fabric left and have been eying this tote bag from Sew, Mama, Sew! so I think I'll be doing that next using a different contrasting fabric and quilting it like I wanted to for this one.

1 comment:

Ayana said...

Wow, you are so talented!

I can't really tell what your personal style is because you don't have a lot of pictures of yourself up, but I can definately guess!

I think you would look great in bright colors like yellow and orange and red. And I think that big earrings would set off your hair style. I also see you in long, flowing skirts - those look nice with flats.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online