Monday, February 4, 2008

Vegan and proud

For the last couple of months I've been writing primarily about crafts. And although that is one side of why I started this blog I feel I should start giving some equally important time to the other side as well.

Yesterday, I watched the movie Earthlings. To quote Veg-TV, "EARTHLINGS is a feature length documentary about humanity's absolute dependence on animals (for pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and scientific research) but also illustrates our complete disrespect for these so-called "non-human providers.""

I can freely admit that some parts of this movie made me cry and realize how cruel we humans really are. I felt like I needed to cleanse myself afterwards. It was shocking to believe the things we do to animals all for the sake of taste and enjoyment. When people would ask me 'Why are you a vegan?' I felt really good about saying that I chose this path for health reasons and that no I wasn't one of those save the animal nutters although I did believe that animals had a right to live their lives out in peace. After watching this movie, even Alex who I've never pressured into becoming vegan or vegetarian because I truly believe that we all have to make this decision on our own for the right reasons. In any case, even he honestly considered the possibility of making the transition to veganism. But that's neither here nor there. I truly felt shamed to call myself a part of a species that could be so heartless. And it made me wonder about those omnis who say they care about animals. Because when it really comes down to it you can't pick and choose what animal to care about more. You either care or you don't. And if you eat meat you don't care. That's the short and simple of it. What makes a cow, a chicken or a pig any less worthy of consideration than the panda or the polar bear? Which animals should we selectively care about so that we can go on consuming the ones we find so delicious? It makes me sick. And don't get me started about seafood because at the rate that we're depleting the oceans we'll be lucky if there isn't a fish left to be consumed or otherwise in the next 50 years. Not to mention the amount of pollution found in all fish the world over. Just another indication of human kind's complete disregard for the planet and those within it.

It's interesting how this movie came out in 2005 and I'm only just hearing of it. Actually, I've read this elsewhere online. And after watching it and knowing it's content. It's not hard to realize why. Why would mainstream media want to give a film about our blatant disregard for other species air time? An Incovenient Truth, the documentary by Al Gore, was talked about incessantly when it came out. Why? Because it's much easier to talk about and confront global warming than it is to talk about our very own consumption habits with regard to food. It's like the elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge. Just today I was watching Oprah and they were talking about how 60% of Americans are obese and the other 30% are over weight. And if you think that's only an American epidemic then you're wrong. According to Statistics Canada, Canadians (children and adults) are fighting the same fight with obesity. The numbers are rising everyday and so are the death tolls of animals.

I've always said that I'm not the type of person to confront anyone on the way they choose to live their life. I never say anything when my omni friends eat meat or dairy in front of me, wear leather or just generally go on about the animals they love consuming. I'm just that non-confrontational, but really it does bother me and deep down inside I want to say 'Stop!' because really how many animals have to die and suffer for your meal? For your belt? Your shoes?

I feel like this rant has been a long time coming. I have so much more to say on the topic but I'm already sounding like the angry vegan right now so I think I'll stop while I'm ahead. Because when it's all said and done, I don't think we'll ever live in a vegan society where not even one animal has to suffer or die for us to say we've accomplished something at the end of the day. I can only say that I'm glad to call myself a vegan and know that I'll be one for the rest of my life. And the next time someone asks me 'Why are you vegan?' I will proudly say that it's because I don't believe even one animal has to die in order for me to survive.

To anyone who wants to watch the movie, I've linked to it above, you just have to click on the name. It streams for free online. You can also download it to watch at a later date.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online