Sunday, July 27, 2008

A new beach

It's been a week since I posted last. Very unusual for me. But with going back to work and everything, I find myself with less time to just sit and write. I took out some books from the library that I wanted to finish and I've been trying to organize my sewing room whenever I get a spare moment. Before I go running off for the day and while Ayla is still sleeping I figured I'd try my best to give a little glimpse of what we've been up to.

First up we went to a new beach yesterday. It was at Gull Lake and it was perfect! Exactly how I imagined a beach trip would be. I'll definitely be going back again this summer. Lots of sand and lots of people. Ayla was not too keen on being in the water. She pretty much cried the whole time. We'll have to try again next time. We don't want her hating the water.

Earlier that morning, I went to the Salvation Army to see if I could be like one of those people that finds really amazing stuff there and lucky for me I did find some great things! One of which was a great lamp for only $2.65 that I want to redo for Ayla's room. I know Ayla doesn't have a room right now but one day she will and she'll have an amazingly cute lamp to go with it. I'm thinking of getting some either Amy Butler or Anna Maria Horner fabric to redo the shade in. Then I want to take off that elephant and buy a really nice handmade wooden ornament to put there. I'm debating on paining the white. I think I'll leave it since it's very clean looking and just do those changes.

And my last bit of news, I finally finished those shorts I've been working on for ages. Well really, I think I mentioned last time that they only needed the hem. But I was just too lazy to do it. I wanted to wear them yesterday so I hauled them off my ironing board and finished them up. I love them so much and I really want to make another pair. It turns out that pattern is not really for me. I have an awkward waist to hip ratio and so it doesn't fit me well around the waist. To solve that problem I inserted an elastic band between my top stitching at the back instead of doing another two darts like I did on my Bermudas. It actually turned out really well so I think I'll be doing that again with the next pair that I make. This picture was taken after wearing them out for the day so they're a tad wrinkly but I still love 'em that way!

PS. Yes that is my bathing suit sticking out the back. I'm not growing a tail.

1 comment:

Andi said...

Aww! Well from the pictures you took, it looks like Ayla had a lovely time on the beach. You guys are so lucky that you can swim where you live. You can imagine my dismay when I discovered that I am surrounded by ocean that is too cold to swim in. Blah.

The lamp is adorable. I think you're on the right track with your suggested alternations. I like very clean and fresh design. I worship Sarah Richardson.

And I love the shorts! Lovely colour. If only I were as blessed as you to be able to wear them so short. ;)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online